Tattoos might only take a few hours to ink but they last a lifetime, so it’s important that you take good care of them! You want those beautiful colours to stay as sharp and vibrant as possible, for as long as possible.
Take these ten steps to ensure tattoos heal as well as possible:
- Listen to your artist! They’re the professionals, so follow their advice to the letter.
- Leave your wrap on as instructed, whether it’s for a couple of hours or a whole day.
- Wash the area thoroughly, but very carefully, after taking off the wrap. Use a soap-free, unfragranced bodywash/cleanser and lukewarm water to do this.
- Pat dry - don’t rub! - with a clean paper (not cotton) towel.
- Apply a very fine layer of balm to the clean, dry skin.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 morning and night until the tattoo is fully healed, and there’s no more scabbing or peeling. This usually takes two to four weeks.
- Don’t pick at or scratch the scabs or flakes!
- Don’t expose the tattoo to the sun. This includes not covering it with sunscreen: just keep tattooed skin under clothes until fully healed.
- Don’t go swimming - in lakes, rivers, the sea or swimming pools - until your tattoo is healed.
- Look after your skin! Even after the healing period, always keep your skin well-moisturised and in good healthy condition with good quality skincare.