There are many ways of reducing the appearance of acne scars, some of which are more hi-tech than others! We take a look at both the clinical and the natural options for improving acne scars.
If you go to a dermatologist or a cosmetic skincare clinic you’ll have various treatment options:
- Laser resurfacing treatment
- Skin peels
- LED facials
- Euro threads
Less invasive or costly ways to work on improving acne scars work on supporting the skin to repair itself and boosting your overall health. These strategies work particularly well on post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation - the discolouration of skin after acne breakouts - rather than true scars which change the surface of the skin.
How does a good skincare regime help acne scars?
The skin has a natural cycle of repair, completely renewing its cells over the course of a month, so even quite old blemishes and scars can gradually fade, soften or flatten over time. While miracles aren’t likely with all kinds of scars, it is possible to feed the skin with the nutrients it needs to rebuild itself, both from the inside (with a good healthy diet) and out (with the skincare products you use on a daily basis).
Acne is caused by a combination of bacteria, clogged pores, dead skin cells, overproduction of sebum and inflammation, so it’s important to work on all those issues as well as trying to increase your skin’s resilience and regenerative powers.
So eat well, drink plenty of water and find yourself a good skincare regime, whether you go for the hi-tech options or not.
Regime for improving the appearance of acne scarring:
- Cleanse thoroughly and carefully, with non-irritant, unperfumed, SLS-free natural cleansers
- Exfoliate gently every few days
- Be sun aware: protect your skin from the sun as it can cause or aggravate damage
- Avoid oils with high comedogenic scores as they will clog pores - which includes oils containing paraffin
- Use a regenerative facial oil every night
Avoid topical steroids!
Although steroids are designed to tackle inflammation they can also cause skin damage, thinning, discolouration, yet more acne and Red Skin Syndrome/TSA when used long-term, and are not suitable for treating acne scarring.
Balmonds Intensive Facial Oil is a great choice as a daily conditioning treatment; unlike other scar oils on the market, it is genuinely 100% natural, and contains some really powerful botanical ingredients:
- Antibacterial, antimicrobial oils to reduce acne-triggering bacteria on the skin
- Vitamin A - natural retinol to regulate healthy skin production
- Vitamin C - stimulates collagen and elastin production and brightens the skin
- Essential Fatty Acids - including acne-busting linoleic acid - to boost the production of new skin cells
- Natural anti-inflammatories to calm redness and reduce swelling