Tips for managing keratosis pilaris:
- Exfoliate weekly but very gently with a natural scrub or mitt
- Keep skin clean with natural (not soap-based) cleansers
- Avoid skin irritants such as perfumed soaps, synthetic bathing products, detergents etc.
- Keep bathing water luke warm - not too hot or too cold
- Moisturise every day with a natural, nourishing emollient for sensitive skin
- Don’t pick at the bumps! It’s likely to make things worse...
What is keratosis pilaris?
Keratosis pilaris (KP), also charmingly known as chicken skin, is a harmless, common but often quite irritating condition where the skin’s hair follicles get blocked with an excess of keratin, the natural substance found in skin, hair and nails. These tiny little plugs of keratin cause bumps under the skin, making it rough and pimply.
KP is not infections and there’s nothing really you need to do about it - in most cases it runs its course eventually - but it can be problematic for two reasons:
- It can be itchy, dry, rough and uncomfortable.
- It can make you feel self-conscious or upset
How do emollients help KP?
All emollients are designed to soften and hydrate dry skin, providing it with the moisture it desperately needs to stay in good smooth condition, but Balmonds also makes sure that all our emollients nourish your skin with vitamins and nutrients as well.
The super-rich natural oils we use in in our products provide the epidermis with the EFAs it needs to repair itself; this helps to regulate and normalise the skin’s regenerative process, alleviating the dryness, the itchiness and the roughness that makes KP problematic.
If you suffer from keratosis pilaris, try our super-rich, all-natural Bath & Body Oil for all-over nourishing hydration after bathing.