The basic rule of thumb is to let tattoos heal untampered with - and that means keeping them as clean, dry and untouched as possible!
While your tattoo is healing you need to avoid the following until it is fully healed:
- Touch: don’t scratch, pick at or rub your healing tattoo - and don’t let anyone else touch it either! Wear loose clothes over new tattoos so they don’t rub.
- Water: don’t submerge your tattoo in baths, use saunas or go swimming.
- Balm: you only need to apply a very fine layer of breathable balm or cream. No smothering - healing skin needs to breathe.
- Sun: keep sun exposure to the absolute minimum! Protect tattoos under clothes, not sunscreen, until healed.
- Dirt: your tattoo starts off as an open wound, vulnerable to infection; keep it clean and don’t touch it!
- Drink: alcohol thins the blood and dehydrates the skin; neither are good for healing
- Exercise: sweating and overexertion are not good for healing skin
- Shave: avoid shaving newly tattooed skin until it’s healed properly
Let your body rest and give it what it needs to recover, and your tattoos should heal sharp and bright!