The basic rule of thumb is to let tattoos heal untampered with - and that means keeping them as clean, dry and untouched as possible!
While your tattoo is healing you need to avoid the following until it is fully healed:
- Touch: don’t scratch, pick at or rub your healing tattoo - and don’t let anyone else touch it either! Wear loose clothes over new tattoos so they don’t rub.
- Water: don’t submerge your tattoo in baths, use saunas or go swimming.
- Balm: you only need to apply a very fine layer of breathable balm or cream. No smothering - healing skin needs to breathe.
- Sun: keep sun exposure to the absolute minimum! Protect tattoos under clothes, not sunscreen, until healed.
- Dirt: your tattoo starts off as an open wound, vulnerable to infection; keep it clean and don’t touch it!
- Drink: alcohol thins the blood and dehydrates the skin; neither are good for healing
- Exercise: sweating and overexertion are not good for healing skin
- Shave: avoid shaving newly tattooed skin until it’s healed properly
Let your body rest and give it what it needs to recover, and your tattoos should heal sharp and bright!
For customers from the USA and Canada
Order directly from our US website www.balmonds.com
If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.
If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.