We might talk a lot about hemp seed oil being a superfood for the skin, but what does it actually do?
Hemp is a formidable plant: its leaves, stalks, flowers, buds and seeds all provide different benefits for human beings, but there’s something about the oil made from pressing the seeds that really does seem to help skin.
Unrefined hemp seed oil is greenish and has a nutty, herbal taste. Refined hemp seed oil has little taste or colour. We use organic cold-pressed oil in our skincare, because refining the oil loses some of the goodness.
A nutritional powerhouse!
Topical application of plant oils has been shown in studies to support skin barrier functioning, reduce inflammation, and promote wound healing, as well as having antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Basically, hemp seed oil is so rich in so many different nutrients, it’s an ideal choice to use in skincare!
Here’s a breakdown of its many benefits:
- Like most plant oils, hemp seed oil is an emollient; it softens rough skin and flaky skin.
- Hemp seeds are remarkably rich in essential fatty acids, like linoleic acid and gamma-linolenic acid, which the skin needs to support its natural cycle of repair and regeneration.
- The seeds are also packed full of skin-friendly vitamins: Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1 and B2...
- ...and minerals: potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, and phosphorus.
- It’s also non-comedogenic, which means it won’t block pores, so is ideal for skin prone to acne and breakouts, especially given its antimicrobial and antiinflammatory properties.
We like to think of hemp seed oil as a kind of vitamin supplement for the skin, one that you put on your skin rather than take as a tablet! Using a balm, oil or cream that is rich in hemp seed oil over a period of time should feed your skin the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and resilient!
Balmonds Skin Salvation balm with hemp and beeswax (from £7.99 for 30ml)
Balmonds Bath & Body Oil with hemp, chamomile and lavender (£12.99 for 300ml)
Balmonds Daily Moisturising Cream with hemp and shea butter (from £13.99 for 100ml)