If you enjoy a dip in a chemically-treated pool but find that you come up in bumpy rashes after your swim, you’ll want to find a way to soothe your itchy skin!
Getting chlorine rash is a miserable experience for those with sensitive skin. Although topical corticosteroid creams - which act to reduce the inflammation that triggers the itch - are a conventional treatment for itchy rashes, not everyone wants to resort to steroids long-term, especially if they’re swimming regularly. You could also try antihistamines as an effective way of dialling down the flare, but it's definitely worth finding an anti-chlorine rash balm that you can use every time you swim.
Balmonds Skin Salvation is a brilliant candidate for the job! It's an all-natural balm which works to manage chlorine rash in two important ways:
- it protects skin from chlorinated water while swimming
- it soothes skin after exposure to chlorinated water
Think of Skin Salvation as a natural version of petroleum jelly! Applied to damp, freshly showered skin before you get in the pool, it forms a physical barrier to chlorine and other harsh chemicals that are used to restrict bacterial growth in the pool. This reduces your skin's exposure to those irritants, as if you were wearing an extra waterproof layer in the pool.
And then apply more after your post-swim shower. The beeswax, oils and herbal tinctures in the balm are designed to help reduce inflammation and settle irritated skin. Chlorine strips away the skin's natural oils, leaving it dry and vulnerable to irritants, so you need a balm that will help rebalance the skin's barrier function.
Skin Salvation is rich in naturally anti-inflammatory herbs, such as chickweed, nettle and chamomile, as well as olive and hemp seed oils, so it's a great tonic for skin that's been through the wars. It replenishes oils and supports the skin's natural cycle of regeneration.
Six steps to manage chlorine rash
- Wash well before getting into the pool; damp skin and hair don’t absorb so much chlorine.
- Apply a thin layer of Skin Salvation barrier balm all over your body, paying particular attention to any especially dry patches (elbows, knees, hands etc.) and the delicate skin around the eyes.
- Wear a swim cap and goggles to minimise exposure to eyes and scalp.
- Wash off pool water very thoroughly afterwards.
- Apply more Skin Salvation or Balmonds Bath & Body Oil straight after showering (within three minutes), to towel-dried but still slightly damp skin.
- Wash your swimming costume or trunks thoroughly to get rid of any lingering chlorinated water.
Skin Salvation with hemp & calendula, from £7.99 for 30ml
Bath & Body Oil with hemp & lavender, £12.99 for 200ml
For customers from the USA and Canada
Order directly from our US website www.balmonds.com
If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.
If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.