Support your skin to survive the winter
Adapting your skincare routine to the season is essential during the colder, drier winter months.
How Do Your Skincare
Needs Change In Winter?
Harsh winds, cold temperatures, and low humidity can strip your skin of moisture, while the sudden temperature changes we experience coming inside to cosy centrally heated rooms can trigger dryness and irritation.
Winter can be brutal on skin, so it’s vital to switch up your skincare to cope with the changing environment, looking at more effective and intensive products to keep precious moisture and lipids locked in.
How Can We Prevent A Cold Weather Flare-Up?
Winter takes its toll on everyone, but for those with sensitive, allergy-prone, or reactive skin it can trigger a dreaded cold weather flare-up, leading to dry, cracked, sore, and irritated skin that can last for weeks.
We’ve gathered some expert advice, ideas and winter-busting products to help your skin survive the season.
“You are not alone! Lots of people with sensitive, allergy-prone or reactive skin experience dry, cracked, sore and irritated skin more often during winter months.
Frustratingly we can’t do much about some of them, like cold air and central healing, but there are some useful strategies to help your skin cope with the wintery weather.
If you can learn to accept your skin flares as they happen, try not to get too anxious and stressed about it, and learn to understand what your cold weather triggers are, winter flares may not be so triggering in the future.”
A Winter Skin Survival Routine
- Switch to richer oil-based creams or balms for the winter to provide a more effective protective barrier against the elements. Our pocket-friendly 30ml pots of Skin Salvation are perfect to keep your skin hydrated on the go.
- Incorporate gentle exfoliation into your routine to slough off dead skin cells and promote cell turnover; this helps your skin absorb moisturisers more effectively.
- Consider using oils and serums to give your skin an extra nourishing moisture boost. Our Intensive Facial Oil is an effective deeply hydrating blend of natural oils, exceptionally rich in nourishing plant-based oils, and ideal for sensitive or fragile skin.
- Moisturise immediately after bathing to lock in moisture! Why not try the Balmonds Drench Ritual, a routine that has been specifically designed to make something routine become a mindful ritual, turning your bath or shower into a luxurious, nourishing treat.
- Stay hydrated from the inside out by drinking plenty of water. Cold weather and central heating can be really dehydrating, and maintaining good hydration levels helps support healthy skin.
- Consider adding omega fatty acids to your diet to support your skin barrier from the inside out; you can find omega oils in foods like oily fish, flaxseeds, walnuts or hemp seed oil.
Farah Mehrez, Nutritionist
A skin-nourishing smoothie is a perfect addition to your winter wellness routine, helping to boost skin health from the inside, even in the coldest months.
Try this recipe for a skin-nourishing smoothie that not only tantalises your taste buds but also provides a powerful dose of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and gut-friendly probiotics.
The Winter Skin Range
We explore the concept of ‘Wintering’, looking at what it means,how it helps, and why a holistic approach to thriving during winter can be useful if you find the colder months a challenge..
Why Does The Winter Take Such A Toll On Our Skin?
Award-winning blogger Ruth Holroyd from whatallergy.com is a leading author on allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, eczema and topical steroid withdrawal.
Ruth helps us understand why the winter takes such a toll on our skin and gives us some top tips on coping strategies this cold season
What Is Winter Itch, And How Can I Avoid It?
Winter itch: also known as pruritus hiemalis, winter itch is a relatively mild skin reaction associated with colder, drier air, although in severe cases it can get uncomfortable and debilitating. If you’ve got naturally dry or sensitive skin, how do you keep it in good healthy condition through the winter and avoid itchy moments?
Made With Gentle, Natural Ingredients
Balmonds products are at the very least 99% natural, and have been since our very first balm was developed at a Brighton kitchen table 20 years ago.
We only select the highest quality raw materials from sustainable suppliers, formulating our range with deeply nourishing and hydrating natural ingredients such as shea butter, beeswax, calendula, chickweed, rosehip and nettle.
- Our shea butter is produced by women’s cooperatives throughout Ghana
- We source our beeswax from a family-run farm, founded in 1922 and located just down the road from our Brighton workshop
- And our herbal tinctures are grown for us by a biodynamic farm in the East Midlands
Your precious skin deserves the best, and what better way to treat it than with fairly traded, organic, natural ingredients.
Your Dermatologist-Approved Cold Weather Hero
Originally created as an intensive emollient for highly sensitive skin, Skin Salvation’s gentle formulation reduces the risk of irritation, and helps to nourish dry or depleted skin with essential nutrients.
- 100% natural: zero fragrances, synthetics, or paraffin
- Dermatologist-approved for sensitive skin
- Lock in moisture with protective beeswax
- Supports healthy functioning of the skin barrier
The balm is also suitable for those who may be prone to eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, rosacea, and other dry skin conditions.
Dr Ruth Cammish
“Balmond’s Skin Salvation works as a semi-occlusive balm with beeswax to lock in moisture whilst letting the skin ‘breathe’... Skin Salvation isn’t greasy and easily melts into the skin. It’s no wonder it’s the ‘hero’ product in their extensive range.”
Real reviews from real customers
Here at Balmonds we understand the frustration and expense of trying new moisturisers only to experience disappointment: we've been there ourselves and it's not much fun.
So we decided to do things differently and offer customers a 60 day money-back guarantee. That means you get a chance to try a product out over a decent period of time, and can get your money back if you find it’s not right for your skin. Click here for full T&Cs.
For more advice, support, and special offers, sign up for our newsletter.
We promise never to bombard you with emails - you can unsubscribe anytime.