Dry, cracked, sore hands?! You’re not alone. Hands can really bear the brunt of life, whether they’re being slathered in alcohol-based hand sanitiser, dunked continuously in hot water, or exposed to dehydrating environments inside and out.
So what do they need? A really, good, really effective hand cream!
Of course, finding that magical product isn’t necessarily easy, especially if you want to avoid environmentally-damaging synthetics. But the good news is that going natural where hand cream is concerned is a really positive thing, because it’s those pesky synthetics which are most likely to flare up sensitive skin, so avoiding them is all to the good!
Points to remember
- If your skin is really sore, cracked or broken, then use a thick oil-based ointment/balm rather than a water-based cream, because creams are much more likely to sting.
- A hand cream or balm that is rich in natural oils can soften rough skin very effectively.
- Find a hand cream or balm which is rich in regenerative, plant-based oils, so it can feed dry hands with the essential fatty acids, vitamins and nutrients the skin needs to repair itself. Balmonds uses EFA-rich hemp seed in Skin Salvation, and adds the super-berry sea buckthorn oil to our Intensive Hand Cream.
- Choose unscented products: look for fragrance, parfum, or perfume in the ingredients and avoid!
- Check ingredients if you’re sensitive to essential oils: some of them can inflame sensitive skin.
- Beeswax is a natural humectant and draws moisture into the skin, which can be a brilliant thing for severely dry skin.
- Beeswax is also protective: it forms a semi-occlusive barrier over broken or fragile skin, locking in moisture and protecting skin from external irritants.
- Some herbs and plants are rich in natural anti-inflammatories, which are great for calming down inflamed or itchy skin. At Balmonds we use calendula, chamomile, chickweed and nettle.
- Shea butter is a wonderfully rich natural emollient, feeding skin with all manner of nutrients, and is a great alternative to beeswax in vegan hand balms.
Our suggestion? Go for Balmonds of course!
Balmonds Skin Salvation is the perfect all-natural moisturiser if your hands are sore and dry; it's made with humectant beeswax to draw in the moisture, EFA-rich hemp seed oil, naturally anti-inflammatory herbal tinctures of chickweed, nettle, chamomile and calendula, and is totally free from preservatives, perfumes, paraffin and other potentially-irritating synthetic ingredients. It doesn't even contain essential oils, which can flare up sensitive skin.
If your hands aren’t cracked and you’d prefer to use a cream rather than an ointment, try our award-winning Intensive Hand Cream, which is rich in macerated oils of sea buckthorn, hemp, calendula, chamomile and safflower, and made in a shea butter base.
Balmonds Skin Salvation from £7.99 for 30ml
Balmonds Intensive Hand Cream from £10.99 for 50ml