If you’re finding your legs are getting scaly, flaky or itchy, we’ve got a simple regime you can set up to help manage the problem.
Why are my legs getting scaly?
Scaly skin on the legs usually means that your skin is dry. It could be related to an existing long term skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis, or it could just be that something has changed to make your skin more prone to drying out.
Some common causes of scaly skin on the legs include:
- Being in a dry environment: this could include central heating or aircon
- Extremes of weather, whether hot or cold
- Using products (creams, soaps, bubble baths or washes) that contain an ingredient that is irritating your skin
- Bathing in long, hot baths
- Getting older
- Having a medical condition such as diabetes, thyroid issues, HOV, liver or kidney conditions
- Being rundown, tired or stressed
So what can you do about scaly legs?
Try this six step regime to manage your dry skin.
- Moisturise morning, noon and night: frequent applications of a suitable emollient is one of the most effective ways of keeping your skin soft and smooth.
- Choose an emollient that nourishes your skin: pick products rich in oils that contain essential fatty acids, so you’re applying the nutrients directly where they’re needed. Our Daily Moisturising Cream is a good choice for a rich, unperfumed moisturiser.
- Bathe clever: make your baths slightly shorter, slightly cooler, and moisturise with an oil (Balmonds Bath & Body Oil is ideal) immediately after you’ve got out and patted your skin dry.
- Exfoliate your legs once a week: use a natural unperfumed scrub - you can make your own from sugar and oil - or a mitt to very gently remove dead skin from your legs. Moisturise afterwards.
- Avoid the nasties: perfumes, soaps, sulphates, harsh preservatives etc can all cause your skin to get irritated, dry and flaky.
- Treat your skin holistically: your skin doesn’t exist in isolation; it is very much affected by your overall health, so look at ways to get more sleep, manage your stress levels, improve the nutrition of the food you eat, and keep your body moving as much as possible.
Balmonds Skin Salvation
with hemp and beeswax
Bath & Body Oil
with lavender, hemp and olive
Balmonds Daily Moisturising Cream
with shea butter and calendula
For customers from the USA and Canada
Order directly from our US website www.balmonds.com
If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.
If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.