Scalp folliculitis is a condition that happens when hair follicles are blocked, damaged or infected. It looks like acne on the scalp (red, bumpy, spots or pustules) and can occur anywhere on the scalp, around the hairline and the neck.
It can usually be managed effectively at home, but in order to get rid of the problem, you need to tackle the inflammation and/or infection.
First of all, it’s important to avoid damaging the follicles physically. If you’re prone to scalp folliculitis, it can be aggravated by:
- Putting hair into tight, twisted or pulled styles
- Wearing hats or helmets all the time
- Shaving your head frequently
- Scratching or rubbing your head
- Using a lot of haircare products that can build up on the scalp
- Change your haircare and toiletries: go for unperfumed, non-SLS, soap-free, natural products instead, to reduce the risk of irritation and inflammation from synthetic ingredients. Our Natural Shampoo & Body Wash 2-in-1 cleanser is great for reducing the itchiness of sensitive scalps. Wash your hair every couple of days in luke-warm (not hot) water for best results.
- Change your head shaving technique: go for a smooth, scalp-specific electric razor rather than shaving by hand, and apply a lotion - Balmonds Cooling Cream is ideal - afterwards.
- Use a purifying conditioning oil overnight once a week to really get to the heart of the matter. Balmonds award-winning antimicrobial Scalp Oil is great for nourishing and cleansing inflamed scalps. Leave on overnight and wash off with natural shampoo in the morning.
- Try daily warm water compresses on the affected area: a warm, damp cloth gently pressed to the area can ease painful symptoms. You can add tea tree essential oil, Scalp Oil or salt to the warm water if you like.
If symptoms don’t improve after a week or so, your scalp is getting hot and red, or you get a temperature, then go to your GP who may have to prescribe antibiotics.
Balmonds Scalp Oil: awarded the prestigious GOLD award for best haircare treat by Green Parent Magazine, our 100% natural Scalp Oil is just brilliant at cleansing and nourishing troubled skin, anywhere on the body but particularly on the scalp. Contains purifying tea tree, stimulating rosemary and nutritious borage seed, which is super-rich in EFAs.
Balmonds Cooling Cream: a rich and soothing moisturising lotion designed to cool down hot or flushed skin. It’s formulated with deliciously cool menthol, soothing aloe vera juice and calming lavender essential oil to reduce redness and heat.
Balmonds Natural Shampoo & Body Wash: a natural 2-in-1 hair and body wash formulated with herbal extracts for itchy, flaky scalps, or those with sensitive, eczema- or allergy-prone skin.
Free from SLS, petrochemicals, fragrance or parabens, this gentle cleanser is suitable for vegans and made with 100% biodegradable raw materials.