Washing hard-working hands several times a day with soap and water can leave them with a damaged skin barrier, opening them up to irritation and inflammation, especially if you’re already prone to eczema or psoriasis.
Try these tips to keep them in the best possible condition:
- Wash with luke-warm, not piping hot, water
- Use a gentle, ph-neutral foaming wash rather than a high alkaline bar soap
- Pat dry(ish: you don’t want them bone dry) with a clean paper towel - and dispose of the towel in a bin!
- Moisturise slightly-damp hands immediately
- Keep moisturising throughout the day, even when you’re not washing your hands
- Give hands a super-boost of nourishing balm at night: apply generously then wear thin cotton gloves overnight
- Choose oil-based balms rather than creams if your skin is cracked, sore or bleeding