Unlike with eczema, which very often improves with exposure to sunshine, rosacea can get worse in the summer, and is also aggravated by sun damage.
Not at all fair!
But the good news is that there are some really helpful things you can do to look after your skin and reduce your risk of flare-ups. Here are our top tips for the rosacea-prone!
SHADE: THINK VAMPIRE!
- Use wide-brimmed hats
- Stick to shady spots
- Stay indoors in the heat of the day (10am -2pm)
USE APPROPRIATE SUNSCREEN
- Sunscreens with physical not chemical protection, ie zinc or titanium dioxide.
- Unfragranced is best
- Brands marketed as for sensitive skin or children are less likely to irritate
- Use a high SPF & reapply frequently
- Ice packs
- Ice towels
- Have a fan on hand at all times!
TREAT YOUR ROSACEA HOLISTICALLY
Remember your whole body needs care in order to look after your skin, so find ways to calm down as you cool down. Stress is a major trigger for rosacea flares, but what works for one person might not suit another: the most important thing is doing what YOU find helpful.
- try daily meditation, yoga or walks in the park to de-stress
- eat omega-rich berries and fish
- eat for gut health and load up on pre- & probiotics
- drink plenty of water
- get enough sleep!
- avoid dietary triggers such as spicy food, really hot drinks & alcohol
KEEP YOUR SKIN HYDRATED
Moisturising is important all year round. Balmonds have four different emollients that are particularly suitable for rosacea, which you can use in combination to keep your face well-nourished and well-hydrated
- Intensive Facial Oil with rosehip & calendula, great for night-time use
- Daily Moisturising Cream with hemp & shea butter for frequent application during the day
- Skin Salvation beeswax ointment with hemp for intensive conditioning
- Cooling Cream with aloe, menthol & lavender in shea butter & hemp for calming flushed skin