Enforced lockdown isn't the easiest of times for anyone, whether you’re on the frontline, furloughed, or working from home. Many of us are finding our skin has got worse, and is breaking out like never before.
Here are the most obvious causes of skin flare-ups and break-outs right now:
- Stress and anxiety
- Poor diet
- Changing routines
- Lack of vitamin D
- Dehydration/central heating
See our article How To Avoid Skin Flare-Ups During Coronavirus Lockdown for some tips on combating the lockdown flares.
But as a minor silver lining to the cloud that brings those challenges, many people are finding their new routine is improving their skin!
All these weeks working at home and no need to put on a face means that thousands of us are ditching the make-up and using the lockdown to go natural!
How does going make-up free help skin?
- Makeup can clog pores, especially if it’s not taken off properly every day
- The synthetic colours, preservatives, fragrances, parabens and other ingredients which makeup contains can irritate skin and sometimes even cause allergic reactions or contact dermatitis
- Using old makeup can risk infection, as microbes multiply in eye shadow, foundation, mascara etc.
- Using foundation every day can make skin prone to acne and perioral dermatitis
- Makeup left on too long can mess up our natural cycle of shedding dead skin, leading to scaly, dull skin
If you take a makeup break, you should still continue cleansing, gently exfoliating and moisturising your skin, but you can simplify your routine and stick to a few super gentle, natural products. Give it a regular dose of facial oil, and steer clear of scented products.
Skin Salvation with hemp seed oil, beeswax, calendula, from £7.99 for 30ml
Natural Shampoo & Body Wash with nettle and chamomile, £19 for 200ml
Intensive Facial Oil with rosehip, chamomile & lavender, £22 for 30ml
Intensive Hand Cream with shea butter, chamomile & sea buckthorn, from £10.99 for 50ml