First of all, perioral dermatitis is a complicated condition, and no single moisturiser, however pure and gentle, is likely to eliminate completely the dreaded spotty rash on its own. What does help is eliminating the culprits* that are contributing to it!
Once you're identified your trigger, you'll need a hypoallergenic, scent-free, sulfate-free, paraffin-free moisturiser to look after your sensitive skin; one that is rich in shea butter is an excellent choice!
Why? Well, let’s look at shea’s benefits for sensitive skin prone to perioral flares:
- It has a very low comedogenic rating, so it is unlikely to clog pores and cause spots
- It is highly nutritious, being rich in vitamins and fatty acids, including linoleic, oleic, stearic, and palmitic acids.
- It can help repair the skin’s barrier function, which is usually poor in people prone to PD
- It is naturally anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, so can calm down angry flares
- It is intensely hydrating, locking in moisture while still allowing the skin to breathe
If you’re prone to PD, we’d definitely recommend you switch your regular moisturiser to a gentle, neutral shea butter-based emollient. Balmonds Daily Moisturising Cream is perfect, as it is free from the perfumes, synthetics and paraffin that can clog pores and trigger flares, but is instead made with fairly traded shea butter and, another little gem for PD, hemp seed oil, to calm and protect sensitive skin.
Use a small amount of Daily Moisturising Cream every day after cleansing with a gentle soap- and SLS-free cleanser (Balmonds Natural Shampoo & Body Wash will do the job very well!). Apply gently to all affected areas.
As with all new skincare products on sensitive skin, patch test carefully for 24 hrs first, before widespread use.
*Those culprits are likely to be ingredients in your skincare, soaps, preservatives, perfumes, flouride in your toothpaste, SLS in your shampoo, inflammatories in your diet, and - the hardest two of all to avoid - stress in your daily life and hormones in your body or birth control.
For more detailed information about what you can do holistically to manage flare-ups, see our blog on How To Treat Perioral Dermatitis.
Balmonds Natural Shampoo & Body Wash with nettle and chamomile (£19 for 200ml)