What is scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory condition in which the skin overproduces cells, resulting in flaky, scaly, inflamed patches of skin. It can come and go throughout one’s life.
It can affect the whole body, but is often concentrated on the scalp, neck, behind the ears and forehead, where it’s known as scalp psoriasis.
What’s the best way to manage scalp psoriasis naturally?
Although psoriasis is a life-long condition that can’t be cured, there are ways to manage it, both holistically by improving your overall health and resilience long-term, and by having effective strategies during flare-ups.
Four strategies for managing scalp psoriasis longterm:
1. Be aware of triggers!
Cold, dry weather
2. De-stress your life
It’s worth taking your health and wellbeing seriously, and finding strategies for coping with stress, whether that’s meditation, walking in nature, swimming, taking time out or setting boundaries at work.
3. Build resilience
Think about building resilience to flare-ups by boosting your immune system with good nutritious food, eating for skin health and to lower inflammation.
4. Have a good skincare regime
Make sure that your scalp is looked after even between flare-ups:
- Treat your hair to nourishing, moisturising conditioning oils
- Avoid perfumed shampoo or body washes
- Use your non-irritant natural moisturisers on the skin on the neck, forehead, ears etc.
7 strategies for managing scalp psoriasis during flare-ups:
1. Soak in an oatmeal bath: fill a sock or one foot of a pair of old tights with porridge oats and add it to a warm (not hot) bath. Lie back and let the oaty water soothe your hair!
2. Apple cider vinegar: rinse freshly washed hair with apple cider vinegar to reduce flakiness
3. Salt bath: add Epsom or Dead Sea salts to your bath to let the minerals do their work
4. Change your shampoo: switch to a non-irritant, SLS-free, unfragranced shampoo, such as Balmonds two-in-one Natural Shampoo & Bodywash
5. Essential oils: try antimicrobial tea tree and/or rosemary to purify the scalp
6. Omega-rich plant oils: nutritious EFA-rich oils on the scalp can help regulate the production of skin cells
7. Overnight oil treatment: Balmonds Scalp Oil is a perfect overnight conditioning treatment for itchy, flaky scalp psoriasis, because it contains hemp seed, borage and olive oils, as well as soothing calendula, cleansing tea tree, and stimulating rosemary. It also rich in soothing calendula and nettle oils, both of which are there to combat the itch.
How to use Balmonds Scalp Oil: apply a few pumps of the oil to the scalp and massage in gently. It’s best used at night time and left on overnight. After applying the oil, lay a soft, old towel on the pillow to avoid staining. In the morning wash the hair out thoroughly with Balmonds Natural Shampoo & Body Wash.
Patch test a tiny amount of the oil behind the ear for at least 24 hours before widespread use.
For customers from the USA and Canada
Order directly from our US website www.balmonds.com
If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.
If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.