Eczema and psoriasis are distinct skin conditions with their own symptoms and causes, but they’re both characterised by skin inflammation and itchiness.
In both psoriasis and eczema, the skin can be bumpy, dry, cracked, itchy and scaly. There are many sub-variants of both conditions and occasionally someone suffers from both at once, so it can be really quite hard to distinguish the two!
The difference is really in how itchy the skin is, where on the body the problem occurs, and the appearance of the rash.
- Eczema is intensely itchy; psoriasis less so.
- Eczema is a more common condition in children than psoriasis; psoriasis tends to affect adults.
- Eczema can look more spread out than psoriasis, which tends to appear in thickened, raised, well-defined patches.
- Eczema is more likely to weep fluid; psoriasis is more likely to be dry.
- Eczema tends to affect the crook of elbows or behind the knees; folds and creases; psoriasis tends to appear on the outside of elbows and knees, the scalp, the lower back, face, palms and feet.
- Eczema tends to form crusts over an inflamed area; psoriasis is more likely to form silvery scales over inflamed skin.
To get a definite diagnosis, ask a GP or a dermatologist and do your own research as well; you will know your own body better than anyone else. Although the management of symptoms is similar in both conditions, with psoriasis you need to be aware of other associated conditions you could be prone to, and with eczema you need to be vigilant against infection.
Whether you suffer from eczema or psoriasis, the key to managing your condition is to keep your skin and your body as healthy and resilient as possible, by using emollients on a daily basis and by identifying and avoiding the things that trigger flare-ups.
We recommend a trio of Balmonds products used in tandem to help manage skin prone to either psoriasis or eczema. There’s a balm, an oil and a cream, all three natural, unfragranced and full of nutrients.
Balmonds Skin Salvation balm for softening and protecting skin during an intensive flare-up
Balmonds Daily Moisturising Cream for daily maintenance, to nourish and replenish thirsty skin
Balmonds Intensive Facial Oil to support healthy regeneration of skin prone to plaque